Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Oh all the stories you’ll hear. Ah, what about all that I’ll miss?

A student's criticism opened my eyes time back. I was teaching public policy & economics in a graduate program I was running. I had just learned that nobody in the graduate seminar had read W Edwards Deming. I assigned it for a couple of weeks down the road, and placed a personal copy on library reserve. Each student could take the book out a day, and I asked them to self organize and assign chapters every one was responsible for, and each to skim the rest, plus to have a debriefing session before class. I was just suggesting techniques we'd used in graduate school to survive and cope with the six-ten readings a week workload. 


My students didn't do it. Everyone came to class as if nothing happened. One student was quite vociferous on how dared I assign an entire book on such short notice. People seem to have a sense of entitlement vis-a-vis knowledge. We may want to accomplish and achieve without work. I confess I felt and still feel responsible for not knowing in advance that Deming was not a requirement in all undergraduate curricula irrespective of a student's major. To me it was like Newton's comprehensive work or like Sun Tzu's Art of War, that we're all called to know. 


My student's critique showed me that we miss a lot. We ought to look again and take on some classics, even if late in life. 


Fuel curiosity and tomorrow you'll know a little more that humankind already knew.


Adrian S. Petrescu, Ph.D., J.D.
Chief Future Architect, InnovationTrek
We got here. What's next?
Accelerate Innovation. 
In companies and self.
Grow flow. Naturally.

No comments:

Post a Comment