Sunday, February 4, 2018

Let pleasure of success lead your life

I speak some French. I never learned it. I had studied it at home as a child with the "Teach yourself French." manual. I wanted to be able to understand the cartoons in Pif Magasine. Later I ended up in Belgium. Again and again. Work was in English as NATO's been always American led. But I had to be able to survive eating at little restaurants and buying groceries. Later on I had to improve my spoken French much more due to fear of my father in law. No. Not really. He is a retired language teacher. He always had patience with my speaking French. I had to improve so I can understand and contribute to the family dialogue. Without everyone's conversation coming to a screeching halt in English. 


Everything we achieve in life is driven by a perception of need. We are wired to want to feel liked and to be appreciated. If we don't communicate well nobody can understand who we are and what excellent skills and know how we can bring to the table. The French Table in Omaha allowed us to meet wonderful friends and build lifelong relationships. 


Late in life I purchased Rosetta Stone and I'm struggling to improve my French. 


Pick a skill you marginally have. Improve on it. Let the feelings of pleasure as you progress slowly réel you in.


Adrian S. Petrescu, Ph.D., J.D.
InnovationTrek

No comments:

Post a Comment