Wednesday, July 8, 2015

What kind of law will you practice?;)

It took me some thirty years to get to being in law school. It is never too late to follow a dream. Many ask me these days "what kind of law will you practice?" just as I've asked over the years all of my many students whom I recommended for law school.

I will practice good, better, the best law!

Law School teaches you what is the law.

My Ph.D. in Public Policy previously taught me how to assess best what the law should be. And how, and how feasible is it, to get there.

The two views are certainly not the same. Not only that, but they often clash quite a lot.

Once the law was the law before Standing Bear v. Crook. Now it is much much different. Standing Bear was a person all along before the law "evolved" and recognized that Standing Bear was a person in front of the law. That alone, however, does not revert for the modern Ponca the implications of Johnson v. McIntosh, does it?:(

Once the law was the law before Hernandez v. Texas. Now it is that no longer. The accused had the right to a jury of his true peers all along before the Warren U.S. Supreme Court recognized in Hernandez who were truly his peers. The law did evolve then and there too.

The law was once the law before Loving v. Virginia. The Lovings had the right to marry before the law "evolved" and let them.

The law was once the law before Brown v. Board. Any black person had the right to go to school in the same schools before the law "evolved" to allow it. As my friend answers that "what race are you?" question: "I am human!" Of course!

The law evolves slowly and only in small increments. But overall it evolves toward natural law all the time.

I want to practice tomorrow's law. Tomorrow's law is natural--"always has been like that"--law. I want to practice good, better, the best law.

Adrian S. Petrescu, Ph.D.
InnovationTrek
ASPetrescu@alumni.pitt.edu
ASPetrescu@InnovationTrek.org

No comments:

Post a Comment